Monday, March 25, 2013

Krakow/Auschwitz Day 3

Boarded a bus for Auschwitz in the morning, just 20 pln round trip.  The bus ride was quick only taking an hour and 15 minutes.  The Auschwitz museum is free unless you want to take a guided tour.  This was by far the most tourists I have encountered yet in Poland, so I opted to go solo.  Only a portion of the camp has been left intact.  At one point the place was huge.  Extermination on a massive scale.  I was hoping to see more to be honest.  It took me just an hour to get through, mostly because I just hate large groups of people being herded like cattle.  I didn't really learn anything new here.   Between what I have read and seen on film, I already had a good grasp on this place.  Honestly, I thought it was going to be more preserved and would be laid out a bit better.  It was interesting and I am glad that I got to see it.  However, it left me somewhat underwhelmed and did not meet my preconceived expectations.  Since I finished up early I walked into the Oswiecim city center, which took about 25 minutes from the camp.  This was a very authentic Polish city, no tourists and no crowds.  I was able to get some business done, cell plan, postal, etc.  Afterwards I had lunch at Max cafe on the old town square.  Great place with great food and cocktails.  This was a welcome reprieve from the tourist death camp.  I had some vodka and salad and was quite content.  Jumped in a cab to catch the bis back to Krakow.  Went back to the hotel and called it a day.

http://www.maxcafe.com.pl

No comments:

Post a Comment