Monday, April 8, 2013

Auschwitz/Birkenau II

Left early to head back out the Auschwitz.  There are 2 parts 2 Auschwitz.  Auschwitz I and II.  I missed II last time.  They are about 3 kms away from each other and I was too stupid to know this.  Out of all the days, it was the March of the Living parade.  The only day they close down Auschwitz.  Tons of Israelis march from Auschwitz I to II and then have a big gathering/concert at Auschwitz .  Fortunately, I made it ahead of them and kind of snuck in and took some photos.  It was great because I had the whole place to myself.  Auschwitz II was left intact just the way the Germans left it..  The entrance tunnel, where the train passes through, has been featured in many movies.  It is very recognizable landmark.  This place is massive.  It really is overwhelming.  The most prominent feature were the blown up crematoriums.  The Nazis tried to hide their atrocities and blew them up.  The are now just piles of rubble, but stand as a stark reminder of the great loss of life that occurred here.  After a full day headed back to the town center and dine at my favorite local place, Max's cafe.  Had a yummy salad and pizza.  After the meal caught the bus back to Krakow, just around the corner.  Super easy.  Had dinner at a local place in Kazmierz called Kuchnia u Doroty.  Excellent local Polish eatery.  Loved the food here and the prices were excellent.  I especially enjoyed the perogi, beet soup and tomato soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment