Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Life in Nairobi

It's 1:56am Thursday morning Nairobi time.  I am up once again due to my mosquito friend.  Been in Africa 3 weeks now, the majority of that time being in Nairobi, Kenya.  I'm currently living at Kourtnie's in the Westlands and somewhat reluctantly settling into the vicissitudes of Nairobian life.  The trip started out very well.  I was able to spend a few days with the NYC posse before heading out of the US.  My first few nights/days were lovely, consisting of re-bonding with one of my dearest friends.  Life just somehow is not complete when she is not in close proximity.  I know she is always there for me, but it's never the same when you are continents apart.  My second night in town she was nice enough to throw me a party.  It was a wonderful evening full of frivolity in which I became acquainted with new friends.  A lovely cross section of expats and native Kenyans who work in the NGO biz with Kourtnie.  You got your restaurants, shopping malls, grocery stores and the rest of the crappiness of the westernized world.  The shopping malls consist of the aptly named "The Mall", Sarit Centre and Westgate.  Westgate seems to be the fanciest and one of the first places in dined was the Artcaffe (http://www.eatout.co.ke/artcaffe-p/artcaffewestgate.htm).  The Artcaffe is full of a mix of people mostly expats and business types.  It is apparently owned by Israeli's and Kourtnie reminded me that is is a prime target for a terrorist attack.  That always makes a meal that much more interesting.  But hey, no worries, there is security everywhere.  I mean everywhere.  They don't call this place Nairobbery for nothing, but I digress.  The Art Caffe afforded me my first Kenyan beer called "Tusker" which I have grown to hate.  The meal itself consisting of Hummus and chili potatoes was quite decent.  I have actually returned here a few times when shopping at the Westgate Nakumatt.  Sarit centre seems a little bit more local friendly, but I will save that for tomorrow.  I am beginning to fade and need to be somewhat coherent when I volunteer tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment