Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Kilimanjaro - Day One

We woke up early had breakfast and went through our orientation for the day.  Packed up the van and we were on our way.  Our first stop was at the main gate to pick up our permits.  I have never seen so many people on a mountain, it was crazy.  I was happy that we were moving on to a trailhead on a more secluded part of the mountain.  In fact, when we arrived, we were the only climbers, much better than the 100 plus climbers at the main gate.  The porters had to weigh in, no more than 25 kilos per porter.  I'm not happy about having porter and guides, but it is mandatory.  Since I was invited by my friends to go with their expedition, I really did not have a choice in the matter.  If I were to do it again, it would be with the minimum required.  At the time that meant at least one guide.  We finally started our 5 day journey to the peak.  Plenty of time to enjoy and get acclimated.  The lower portions of Kili were beautiful, lots of wildflowers.  Very pleasant first day to our first camp.

Porters at the main gate


Signing in


Weighing in


Trail head



First night campsite







No comments:

Post a Comment