Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Last Few Days...

Went out to Onami's(http://www.eatout.co.ke/Onami-p/onami.htm) in the Westgate Mall with Kat Tuesday night.  Lovely place, good sushi and some of the better cocktails I have had in town so far.  Probably one of my better meals at this point.  I would definitely recommend it.  Me and Kat kinda went for it, being 400 bob for all drinks night.  Zalalam who I met at my party on one of my first nights was spinning ambient tunes.  I quite enjoyed the chill vibe and Kat was great company.  We went of my up and coming itinerary, which got me excited.  Looking forward to getting out of Nairobi for a bit.  When we got back to the Fine Diamond compound the place was swarmed with men running around with guns.  Apparently, the guy below us was robbed.  I have since been much more vigilant about keeping the front door locked.  Wednesday was a bit of a mess.  I need to get extra pages for my passport to accommodate the visas for my upcoming trip.  I took a taxi all the way down there to be turned away at the gate because I did not have an appointment.  This was something that just changed in November of last year.  The place is pretty much Fort Knoxx, don't think the terrorists will be hitting this embassy anytime soon.  So back to Westlands with my tail between my legs.  Met Kourtnie after she got off work and went out for drinks with friends at a place called "The Vineyard".  On the way there we got pulled over in Ellen's car for some license plate issue, which subsequently got sorted at the police station.  "The Vineyard" had a great outdoor patio, but the drink situation sucked.  No coconut for the pina colada (yeah you heard that right) and no mint for the mojito.  I mean I need some sort of exotic cocktail in this hot climate.  I'm sick of Tusker.  So the rest of the crew had drinks while I took a walk.  Came back and we blasted out of there.  Me and Kourtnie walked back and decided to go to the Corner Affair Bistro(http://www.eatout.co.ke/corneraffair-p/corneraffairbistro.htm) which is in our hood.  Great ambiance, cool spot and a good vegetarian selection. Oh!!!! and get this, they had pina coladas.  I don't care who makes fun of me, I love me some pina coladas.  Something about coconut and pineapple, made for each other.  The food was quite good and I would definitely recommend this place.  I will be going back for sure.  My only issue is the pina coladas were small.  When I suggested that they make one in a bigger glass, it was the same size, just in a bigger glass.  That is Kenya for you right there.  Everything is well, kind of not quite the way you want it.  As with all traveling you just need to be flexible and let these things roll off.  My doppelganger, is a spoiled American.  Couldn't sleep last night, so got out of bed late.  I did manage to get to Kourtnie's NGO to do some volunteer work.  I am going through their website and tweaking the verbiage and punctuation.  Kourtnie sure does love those run on sentences.  Heading back in tomorrow to try and finish up.  Plus I need to take care of some of my own biz relating to wire transfers and passport pages.

http://www.hijra.or.ke

1 comment:

  1. Glayden,
    My mom and I are cheering you on with a mojito in a very large glass!
    Love,
    Katie and Judy

    P.S all sexy men drink pina coladas!

    ReplyDelete