Monday, February 14, 2011

Gikomba Market, City Centre & Max Lands

Went to Gikomba Market yesterday with Jimmy.  Gokomba is the largest outdoor market in Kenya.  No white people, just startled Kenyans who constantly blurt out Mzungu.   They were running the hard sell, white people equal dollar signs.  The market was crazy.  Wooden shacks with all kinds of clothes and shoes.  They would just put everything in a pile and it was a free for all.  Dirt and garbage everywhere.  It was interesting, but just got way too hassled to really dig it.  I bought some produce because it was way cheaper here than at the market.  I finally found a place where Kenyans shop.  They had signs with prices and as soon as I showed up, they turned the prices around.  Of course they were higher, but it was too late, I knew, so I haggled for the right price and got it.  I got 8 tomatoes for 20 shillings, 2 avocados for 20 as well and 5 red onions for 10, score.  :)  One US dollar equals about 81 shillings.  Here are a few pics, I didn't really take any because I just didn't feel right taking pictures here.

http://www.worldofronah.com/Africa/Kenya/Nairobi/gikomba-market/





Since the market was close to City Centre, me and Jimmy decided to walk there and have a couple of beers.  Well, we actually tried to haggle with a cab driver who told us 500 shillings, which is ridiculous.  So we walked it.  Here are some photos from the walk.




Here is where the US embassy used to be before Al Qaeda blew it up.


Here a couple of pics from where we had beers.  Had a Tusker Malt, I still think Heineken is better.  :)  Hating the Kenyan beer monopoly.



Lost in translation?


We closed down the night at Max Lands, a Nyama Choma joint, around the corner from the pad.  Sunday rages, local Kenyan flavor with a band.  Excellent traditional Swahili dishes.


No comments:

Post a Comment